Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Tinted Mason Jars

So I saw something like this on Pinterest but without many specifics. So I wanted to try it and figure out good instructions! I'm really excited with how it turned out! 



So I started out with three masons jars, 2 large ones and 1 medium sized one 



Materials:
1. Mason jars
2. Mod Podge
3. Goo Gone
4. Food Coloring
5. Little bowls
6. Newspaper
7. Measuring Cups (Not Pictured)
8. Cookie Sheet (Not Pictured)
9. Wax Paper


2 of the Mason Jars I used had been Prego Sauce jars, so I used Goo Gone to make sure all the sticky-ness was off. 


Next, it was time to mix up the mod podge and food coloring. On the back of my food coloring box, there were "recipes" for additional shades. I used lime green (3 green, 1 yellow), turquoise (4 blue, 2 green) and salmon (3 red, 2 yellow). 



I mixed each color in a separate little bowl. First I put the food coloring in. I doubled the "recipe" so for lime green I used 6 green and 2 yellow, and so on. If you want the tint to be lighter, I would suggest that you don't double it and just use 3 green and 1 yellow and so forth. Then I added the mod podge. I used 1/3 cup mod podge for the larger jars and 1/4 cup mod podge for the smaller jar. You can definitely use less, but using this much made it super easy to coat the inside, it just left a lot to drip out when it dried.





Once the mixture was ready, I poured it all in the jar and rotated the jar until the entire inside was coated. 








 This whole process made a huge mess, so make sure you have newspaper down! Once the inside it coated, turn it upside down on the newspaper and let them sit for 10 minutes. 



After 10 minutes, a lot should have dripped out


Then, place wax paper on a cookie sheet and place the jars upside down on the sheet. 



Heat the oven to 200 degrees and put the jars upside down in there for 10 minutes. 





Even more mod podge mix will drip out after that. 


Replace the wax paper and turn the jars right side up. Then put back in the oven for 45 minutes. 



You should start to see it drying 


They're all done when the mixture is translucent instead of opaque! 



All done! 

No comments:

Post a Comment